Chester County Intermediate Unit’s (CCIU) ESL Specialist program is a post-baccalaureate certificate program for individuals that hold a PA Instructional I or II teaching certificate. The goal of the ESL Specialist Certificate program is to develop candidates that will be able to demonstrate the five ESL Competencies outlined in the PA Department of Education’s key domains consisting of Language Culture, Observing, Planning, Implementing and Managing Instruction, Assessment and Professionalism.
- Online delivery, three synchronous, virtual meetings per course.
- Courses 1, 2, and 3 each include 10 hours of field hours.
- Course 4 includes 10 hours of practicum hours.
- Course 5 includes 20 practicum hours.
- Virtual sessions will take place via Zoom from approximately 4:30 - 8:30 PM.
- Field placements will occur in Chester County School Districts, Charter Schools or the district in which you will do your field experience.
- Each course is completed in approximately nine weeks.
- Finish the program in ten months!
Course of Study
Language Acquisition (July 5 - September 6, 2022)
Cultural Diversity in the Classroom (September 19 - November 21, 2022)
Instructional Materials (November 28 - January 30, 2023)
Assessment and Support for EL's (February 6 - April 10, 2023)
Field Experience (April 17 - June 19, 2023)
Cost of the CCIU Certificate program: $2750
Neumann University optional graduate credit
- $150 per course
- 5 courses
- 3 credits per course
Cost of the CCIU Certificate program with optional graduate credit: $3500